4IP's Early Years

4IP commenced transmission from Briggs Road ,Churchill, Ipswich , Queensland Australia , on the 2nd September 1935

The station was owned and operated by Ipswich Businessman - Mr. Bill Johnstone

The studios were located in Upper Brisbane Street , Ipswich.

In 1963 the station was bought by South Queensland Broadcasting Corporation and was thus part of the radio network owned by Sir William Allen Jr , Sir Francis Moore , and Emmet Connor

1969 , 4IP opened studios in the Pearl Insurance Building at the corner of Queen and Eagle St. Brisbane.

1973 the studios were moved to larger premises at the corner of Wharf and Adelaide St. Brisbane.

During this time the station still transmitted from Bundamba in Ipswich on 1010Khz. To boost the signal to all parts of Brisbane - the Gold Coast - and Ipswich - the transmission site was moved to St Helena Island in Morton Bay in 1975.

Radio 4KQ co-sited with 4IP in Australias first multiplexed dirrectional antenna array.

Home